wildatlanticwayphotography.com

wildatlanticwayphotography.com
props

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Saint-Cyr Reserve

Today Sue and I visited the LPO reserve at Saint-Cyr for the bird fair so I could make a few contacts amoungst the members and workers there. Although at this time of year we didn't expect to see many birds, I saw something I did not think would be there..............



A Black Swan: they are natives of Australia and are the symbol of Wetsern Australia. Like many other species they were brought to Europe as ornamental novelties for large gardens with ponds. They have subsequently bred and started to spread - I have seen them across mainland Europe and the UK but normally, like this one, as singletons not pair bonded couples.  



They have red beaks with the distictive white band across it, and red eyes. 

They also have what can only be described as Frilly Knickers - the feathers towards the tail as you can see are very curly can give the impression to me of fine ruffled lace.


On a previous visit here on a wet and rainy day I was also able to get a shot of this Water Pitit. 


Normally found near torrential watercourses but here it seems happy to search around in the mud on the edge of one of the islands to find its food - quite successfully, as seen below.

 





No comments:

Post a Comment