wildatlanticwayphotography.com

wildatlanticwayphotography.com
props

Friday, April 22, 2011

The Carpenter Bee

To day I managed to get a few images of a Carpenter Bee otherwise known as a Black Bee for obvious reasons.


It is called a Carpenter Bee because unlike a Honey Bee it does not live in a colony but burrows in to timber and makes its home within the wood, I think that is what this Bee is doing looking for a potential home.

















They have wonderful metallic wings that seem black but can also reflect a myriad of blues and purples.


 
You can easily see in this shot the jaws it has for cutting through the wood fibres.




I am also including this chap I am not sure what type of Wasp he is but he has a very large abdomen so probably a Dauber- I will try to find out exactly what it is...................




The Bird of the Day is the Robin normally a familiar friend in winter but a little more secretive in summer.




No comments:

Post a Comment